I collect and photograph a visual narrative of patterns and textures from the world around me. My pots are a tangible record of my experience in the world. Rust and rippled sand, aged wood and strata of rock are all seen everyday, but with a closer look they can be breathtaking inspiration. I work in process-based studio practice focusing on the relationship between clay, form, and surface to create work that changes through repetition and improvisation. My process begins long before the firing. Every cut and scrape of my wooden tools, every push of my fingers considers to how the flames of the kiln and firing method will merge clay with glaze. The kiln is a collaborator, a trusted but pleasantly unpredictable partner, lending its voice to mine. The pots truly come to life in the flames of the kiln. I create sculptural and functional forms whose surfaces are meant to slow time, and invite a closer look. These pots are a tangible record of my life.
I graduated from the College of Wooster in Ohio with a BA in English, and began working with clay shortly after while applying to The Japan Exchange and Teaching Program. I lived on the southern coast of Shikoku Japan as an English teacher and self-taught potter. Four years later I returned to America as an apprentice working under Jeff Shaprio. I worked with Jeff for 16 months learning how to fire atmospheric kilns. I lived in St. James, NY on Long Island where I built a small wood and salt kiln that I fired using some local materials and recycled untreated pallet wood from 2016 to the fall of 2017, and have just recently started my MFA at SUNY New Paltz in New Paltz, New York.
Exhibitions, Publications, and Work Shops
- MFA Candidate SUNY New Paltz Ceramics
- “Making Your Mark in Clay” at Common Ground On The Hill, West Minster, MD
- “Conductivity: The Many Faces of Copper in Ceramics“, Companion Gallery, 2017
- “Serve It Up 2017”, Clay Arts Vegas
- Small Favors “Think Inside the Box”, The Center for Art in Wood in collaboration with The Clay Studio March 3- May 27,2017
- 2nd Place at the 2016 Peter’s Valley Fine Craft Fair 2016
- ArtAscent, Heat, Volume 18, April 2016
- Apprentice Lines, 2015 NECECA, Providence, Rhode Island
- On the Road, A Music and Pottery Show, The Sen Guest House, Matsuyama, Japan. May 10, 2014
- Grit and Grain. Solo Exhibition. Machikado Gallery, Susaki City, Kochi, Japan, September – October, 2013
- ArtAscent, Emerging Artists, Volume 1, June 2013